Monday, March 31, 2008

Fish@fishland

This blog is not for veggie ‘s……….

Fishland is a very old hotel in Majestic that has been satisfying the appetite for fish and other seafood to thousands of people for the last 3-4 decades. Its not a hotel with some great ambience etc, Simple wooden table, fixed chairs, old small usha fans and a traditional lord balaji’s photo welcomes you at the entrance. This place is diagonally opposite to Kamat Yatri nivas and to be more precise it is a hotel adjoining “ STATUS BAR & RESTAURANT” .

Vinayak has been a regular customer to this hotel from his very early days in Bangalore. When we got married he took me to this place. And my first impression of it - dingy, shady and somehow I felt very uncomfortable. But managed to go up, and order for food. And now its been over 8 years that I have been going to this place atleast 2 Sundays a month.

I was sitting there yesterday and relishing fish and was just wondering what’s in this place that looked so dingy to me once seems one of the best restaurants now. It’s the fish that is cooked here, that I get a taste no where else. The menu card has no extra ordinary items but is just printed on a single sheet that is laminated. Infact the waiters are the same with no change. The moment we go, the welcome we receive as though we are their lifetime members is something that feels nice, the extra care and they get our first item even without our ordering as they know it by heart. I am sure this is something I would never get elsewhere.

The Fish fry, mangalore style curry are something’s worth eating apart from their other sea food delicacies I believe, but I have never tasted the others as I am just a fishiterian!!!!

No comments: