Friday, May 2, 2008

50 years to 669,

April 30th marked a very memorable event for me, when my ajji’s house celebrated its 50 years….. The house has stood the test of time against all weathers.

My Ajja used to say that in 1958 when he built the house in Rajajinagar , bhashyam circle main road , there was only paddy fields all around and the only school out was in malleswaram , that was a good 5 km walk which my mom and her siblings would do to go to school. Today after 50 years it is one among the 5-6 houses that stands on the main road against the stiff walls of all the complexes and shopping centres.

Despite all that traffic when I still enter that gate which has two coconut trees as welcome pillars and the gate makes a loud squeaky noise , which is as good as a calling bell…. And my Ajji walking slowly, feebly towards the door to open it with a smile on her face. The truth is there is still some serenity which I can just feel and be happy. The backyard still remains calm to my ears and looks beautiful with different trees from plantain , mango, curry leaves, neem, to name a few and a huge Tulasi ( Basil plant) which has a lovely “ Brindavan”

The house has seen Three generations grow, 6 children, 12 grand children and 3 great grand children apart from many cousins who grew here. I still remember my Ajji making me sit on the compound wall and show me the moon while she fed me curd rice, may be I was just over 3 years, now it is my turn where I make my daughter sit on the compound to give her curd rice…not showing her the moon coz it seems lost in the traffic smoke

No comments: